Prepare: Prior to beginning work on this discussion forum, in preparation for discussing the importance of critical thinking skills,
Read the articles
- Common Misconceptions of Critical Thinking
- Combating Fake News in the Digital Age
- 6 Critical Thinking Skills You Need to Master Now (Links to an external site.)
- Teaching and Learning in a Post-Truth world: It’s Time for Schools to Upgrade and Reinvest in Media Literacy Lessons
- Critical Thinking and the Challenges of Internet (Links to an external site.)
Watch the videos
Review the resources
- Critical Thinking Skills (Links to an external site.)
- Valuable Intellectual Traits (Links to an external site.)
- Critical Thinking Web (Links to an external site.)
Reflect: Reflect on the characteristics of a critical thinker. Critical thinking gets you involved in a dialogue with the ideas you read from others in this class. To be a critical thinker, you need to be able to summarize, analyze, hypothesize, and evaluate new information that you encounter.
Write: For this discussion, you will address the following prompts. Keep in mind that the article or video you’ve chosen should not be about critical thinking, but should be about someone making a statement, claim, or argument related to your Final Paper topic. One source should demonstrate good critical thinking skills and the other source should demonstrate the lack or absence of critical thinking skills. Personal examples should not be used.
- Explain at least five elements of critical thinking that you found in the reading material.
- Search the Internet, media, or the Ashford University Library, and find an example in which good critical thinking skills are being demonstrated by the author or speaker. Summarize the content and explain why you think it demonstrates good critical thinking skills.
- Search the Internet, media, or the Ashford University Library, and find an example in which the author or speaker lacks good critical thinking skills. Summarize the content and explain why you think it demonstrates the absence of good, critical thinking skills.
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length, which should include a thorough response to each prompt. You are required to provide in-text citations of applicable required reading materials and/or any other outside sources you use to support your claims. Provide full reference entries of all sources cited at the end of your response. Please use correct APA format when writing in-text citations (see In-Text Citation Helper (Links to an external site.)) and references (see Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.)).