- Think about an informative speech that you would like to present on a topic of your choice.
- The speech can be for any context and any length, but the purpose must be to inform. See the list of example speech occasions for inspiration.
- Download and answer each question in the the Unit 2 Touchstone Template based on the speech you are thinking of: Touchstone_2_Template.doc
- Consider your audience, purpose, and thesis and complete Part 1 of the template.
- Utilize your program resources, the internet or a local library to find three credible sources that are relevant to your speech and complete Part 2 of the template.
- Read through your sources to identify five pieces of evidence that support your thesis and complete Part 3 of the template. Be sure to use at least three different types of sources (example, statistic, analogy, definition, visual, story, testimony).
- Review the rubric to ensure that you understand how you will be evaluated. Ask a Sophia learning coach if you have any questions.
- Review the checklist and requirements to ensure that your Touchstone is complete.
- Submit your completed Unit 2 Touchstone Template on Sophia.
Touchstone Support Videos
- Demonstration presentation (showing how to do something)
- Product analysis
- Presenting academic work (paper, research, report)
- Present and explain original creative work
- Sharing relevant information at a community gathering (PTA meeting, boy/girl scout convention, town hall, homeowner’s association, athletic league, school board meeting, etc.)
- Communicating a community initiative or policy
- Presenting to staff (new initiatives, pep talks, announcements, etc.)
- Presenting to colleagues or peers (idea sharing, status updates, etc.)
- Presenting to superiors (project plan, project summary, etc.)
_ I have completed all aspects of the template.
_ My answers demonstrate thoughtful consideration of each question.
_ I have selected sources that are credible and relevant.
_ I have selected five pieces of support that are relevant to my thesis.
_ I have selected three or more different kinds of support.
_ I have adhered to all of the requirements.
_ I have read through the rubric and I understand how my Touchstone will be evaluated.
- All writing must be appropriate for an academic context
- Follow academic writing conventions (correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting)
- Composition must be original and written for this assignment; plagiarism of any kind is strictly prohibited
- Use a readable 11- or 12-point font
- Submission should include your name and the date
- Submit a single file only, including the answers to all questions
- Acceptable file formats include .doc and .docx.
Proficient Acceptable Needs Improvement Needs Substantial Revision
15 points Answers all questions in the Touchstone 2 Template, consistently demonstrating thoughtful consideration. Demonstrates correct understanding of relevance and credibility. Answers all questions in the Touchstone 2 Template, primarily demonstrating thoughtful consideration, but some responses are lacking in detail or insight. Minor aspects of relevance and credibility are misunderstood. Answers most questions in the Touchstone 2 Template but shows limited consideration; responses lack detail or insight. Demonstrates some misunderstanding of relevance and credibility. Answers are absent or very limited.
Purpose, Audience, and Thesis: Informative Speech
15 points Includes a purpose, audience, and thesis that are aligned, clear, and specific. Includes a purpose, audience, and thesis that are somewhat vague, lacking in detail, or are not well aligned. Includes a purpose audience and thesis, however they are not well aligned, they are vague, lacking in detail, or one element (purpose, audience, or thesis) has not been listed. Does not include audience purpose and thesis.
20 points Includes three different sources that are relevant and credible. Includes three different sources, however one of the sources is lacking in relevance and/or credibility. Includes three different sources, however two of the sources are lacking in relevance and/or credibility, or only two sources are included. Includes only one source or does not list any sources and/or listed sources are all lacking in relevance and/or credibility.
25 points Includes five different pieces of support that directly support the thesis. Includes three or more different types of support. Includes five different pieces of support, however one or two pieces of support do not directly support the thesis. Includes two different types of support. Three or four of the pieces of support do not directly support the thesis. Includes one type of support. All pieces of support do not support the thesis or includes no support. © 2021 SOPHIA Learning, LLC. SOPHIA is a registered trademark of SOPHIA Learning, LLC.