After reading the selection of poems ( below), choose one poem to analyze and answer the following questions.
- Sharon Olds “ The Language of Brag” p. 324
- Billy Collins “Snow Day” pp. 41- 42
- Elizabeth Bishop “One Art” and “First Draft of One Art” pp. 211- 213
- Kaylin Haught “God Says yes to Me” p. 130
- Barbara Hamby “Ode to American English” p. 86
- Li-Young Lee “The Hammock” p. 189
- Sylvia Plath “Stillborn” p. 319
- Tony Hoagland “There Is No Word” p. 320
- Pdidy tribute to Biggie Small (YouTube)
- What is the poem about? In your own words, summarize the poem.
- What is the theme (the central idea) of this poem? State it in a single sentence.
- What images does the poet use? Share one or two images and tell why they are effective (or not).
- What figures of speech are used (metaphor, simile, figurative language)? Cite at least one figure of speech and identify it.
- Is the poem successful? Why?